We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Strange entry in router log.

castiel333

Likes # 0

I logged into my router yesterday and found the following entry :- [ALLOW: server.iaNÞ L•itPopupShown=true; _utma=179196837.924017300.1310946194.1310946194.131 Sunday, 17 Jul 2011

I have tried google because I really want to know what this is but came up with no result.

The reason I am asking is because shortly before I found this entry I got a message saying something about my pc connecting with another network and asking whether I wanted to keep it in the internet zone or trusted zone.

I know it sounds really stupid but I worry so much about security especially as I have just started using paypal for the first time.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could please tell me what this entry means.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Trying to google parts of this entry got Avast blocking a harmful website. Infection was HTML;Iframe-inf. Anyone with the password to your router that could have put the entry in? If so then you could ask what it's for?

Google search brings up nothing but changes the fonts to "[ALLOW: server.iaNÞ L• itPopupShown=true; _utma=179196837.924017300.1310946194 ". I'd be a bit wary of it as it is enabled in your router.

Like this post
castiel333

Likes # 0

Thank you very much for your help.

As I am the only one in my family that knows the password or how to login to the router etc I am worried that this means a neighbour or someone has "got in".

Please can you tell me if that is possible and, if it is, how I can remove their access.

I am wondering whether changing the wep key and password would help.

Thanks again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It sounds as your wireless network has been hacked. WEP is not good enough as security as it's easily hacked. I'd be inclined to reset the router to factory settings and start again. This time use WPA2 as the wireless protected access. This means that you will also have to reconnect your other computers. As you'll be creating a new wireless network I would also change the network's name (SSID). That will make it easier to connect the others. Some information about WPA2

For more help doing this I'd start a thread in the Networking forum and state your problem and the name of your router and operating system. Good luck.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...