We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem logging on because password not known

xerxes of horsley

Likes # 0

I have purchased a Medion MI2080 at auction. On startup the OS 9 Windows 7 Premium Edition) asks for a password. The hint is 6 Factorial. I have tried every variation of 720 I can think of., but to no avail. Anyone any ideas how to get around the problem please

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

See if it will start in safe mode using the administrator sign in,And if you get in open another user account and use as administrator.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Tap F8 as its booting and do a full recovery to factory settings.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

what's the point of a password if windows lets you circumvent it?

Like this post
xerxes of horsley

Likes # 0

Still no joy.

Buteman: In the Advanced Options Safe Mode takes me back to the Log on screen and still asks for a password. FruitBat: There is no Full Recovery option (or am I missing the obvious somewhere) Woodchip:Grow up

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Why? I only pointed out the pointless Password setting, if you can get round it

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS

Just as a Instance I bought a Ex demo HP Laptop not with Password but it had a User set and it had I think two Viruses when I got it. After clearing the Virus it was a Easy job without any Assistance to change the user Name in Regedit and we are not talking 16 year old geek but a 75 year OAP

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

All you should need to do is start in safe mode then go to Control Panel/Accounts select the User and delete it, then Create a new User

Like this post
xerxes of horsley

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. All suggestions tried but no joy. Whatever I try I just end up back at the login screen being asked for a password. Woodchip, thanks for your further responses....no offence meant.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What options do you get by tapping F8 or try F5?

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

This solved a similar problem for me (though with Vista);

Boot straight into Safe Mode (it's F5 in my computer, while booting), go to Device Manager, System Configuration, Startup. In the startup list, untick User Account Control (or its equivalent in Windows 7), then boot/reboot normally. Re-enable User Account Control when appropriate.

It was a brand new PC I couldnt get into Windows with (thought I had to use the fingerprint sensor straight off, and it didn't seem to be working). Once in Windows, I could access instructions for getting into Windows!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...