We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to simplify outlook 2010 operation

ened

Likes # 0

All I want this programme to do is send and receive emails from my one AOL account.

I cannot find a way to do the following:

Stop it leaving messages on the server

Stop it synchronising with the server so that a mirror image is created on the AOL server. Every time I create a folder it appears on the server - If I delete it from the server it also deletes it from my Hard Drive.

I have been forced to use Outlook because Win 7 doesn't (apparently) support OE or Windows Mail but if I can't sort this out I would appreciate it if another email client could be recommended (not Live).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It seems as if you have an imap AOL account. This is exactly what would happen with an imap instead of an pop account. There are advantages in that any pc, laptop, tablet, or smartphone sees exactly the same e-mails and the same layout. Clearly you do not want that. Suggest that you check whether AOL is set up for imap. If it is no matter what e-mail client you use then it will stay the same.

There isn't any problem with Windows Live Mail but if you don't like MS then try Thunderbird.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell

I posted a reply yesterday but it hasn't appeared. This thread doesn't appear in My Posts either so something is wrong.

I have tried to find help on this problem but the only thing I didn't look for is imap.

When I set up Outlook it gave me the option to leave mails on the server or not. I opted to do so in the belief that I could change it at a later time.

I just cannot find that option. It doesn't appear to be there

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the same as 2003, Tools, Accounts, Modify, Settings, More Settings, Advanced tab. Untick 'leave message on server'.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 I don't think it is quite the same but, following advice from a couple of places I googled, I found my way to the same place.

For some reason, on that page the option to untick/tick : "leave messages on server" is missing.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It will be missing if it is an imap account. Did you check?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It will be missing if it is an imap account. Did you check?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Dreaded double post to waiting - slow site on IE9.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell

Yes I did check and answered your question in yesterday's missing post. Apologies

It is an imap account.

I am a bit confused because, as far as I am aware it has always been a pop account. In fact I always set up my stuff manually and, when I joined AOL I definitely put the pop settings into Win Mail.

I can only assume that when Outlook set up the connection it was changed.

Is that possible?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Did you let it set up automatically? Otherwise it shouldn't be possible to change from pop to imap. All of your "problems" relate to imap which means that all of the e-mails are kept on the servers and all of your folders are replicated there. I prefer it that way for one of my accounts as then I can share it with whatever system I am using. If you don't like that then you need to change back to pop. Your incoming server should be something like pop.isp instead of imap.isp. However as I don't use AOL I cannot advise on how to change.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Woolwell

Yes I did let it set itself up automatically - clearly that is where I went wrong.

Always learning!

I shall look into how to change it back.

Thanks for the help and info.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad