We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

new hard drive and os install

john the scone

Likes # 0

hi there, i've given up trying to sort my laptop out as it seems my hard drive has failed, and out of warranty, by 6 months. found a compatable hard drive and am capable of putting it into laptop. my system came with a recovery dvd but i had to burn my own dvds when i got it as a system back up i presume. do i just put the hard drive in then use the discs i burnt to re install windows 7 or the recovery disc? also there is another disc for drivers, will i need to use that as well. i've re installed systems before but not onto a new replacement hard drive. its an asus laptop x5dc running windows 7. any help much appreciated

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I assume the recovery disk would look for a partition on the HDD to restore from, therefore as its a new drive, I think you need to use the DVDs you made.

You shouldn't need the drivers as they should be part of the image on your DVDs.

Like this post
john the scone

Likes # 0

ok thanks, i'll give em a try

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Did you try a factory restore or would it no work.

Like this post
john the scone

Likes # 0

tried factory re install but did not work, narrowed it down to faulty hard drive. once i install it do i need to format it or just put in the discs and they'll do it all for me?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Good question!

the drives often come pre formatted nowadays but I think the imaging software will do all that is necessary.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features