We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows XP Install problem

The Teacher

Likes # 0

I posted a while ago on a prolem to do with the license key for the above, that problem solved, as I found the key.

However there is a problem with the install itself. It will go so far then I get a blue screen with a lot of blurb on it and the following error coded

STOP:0x000000F4 (0x000000x3, 0x8171C280, 0x8171C3F4, 0x805FA7A8)

Does anyone know what this is? There is also a message that says to restart the PC and when I do the install restarts and gets to the same message.

Also at the bottom of the screen it says "dumping memory"

The install of XP is going onto, as a fresh install, a laptop with Win 2000 on it. It is a GENUINE Win XP CD.

The Teacher

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Sounds like you have a faulty memory stick, if you have more than one stick try with only one at a time to run setup. are you trying to do a xp repair or a full install to a clean drive

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS I just looked at the last part of your thread, if you have not removed Windows K you need to do that first as you cannot load XP over it. You can dual boot it if you have enough disc space

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Many references to this error code, and the vast majority point to a failing hard drive.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If its a Sata drive, Drivers will need loading. Set the Drive you are trying to load to as Master if its IDE

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This message is usually due to IDE problems, bad cables or wrongly configured drives.

I think woodchip is on the right path here especially if the error message occurs at the beginning /early in setup.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia