We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Speedtouch wireless usb - no software

eevie
Resolved

Likes # 0

HI

I need to relocate my computer which at the moment is connectced to a wireless router by cable, I will not be moving the router. I want to connect using wireless. I have a speetouch dongle which I know has worked on another computer, but is a few years old and I can't find the disc. I have spent all afternoon looking online to download the software so I can use it. Thomson speedtouch seem to have been taken over and I can't find any downloads on the new website. I have found many websites offering the software but each one wants me to download a "driver detective" which then wants to check my whole system and when I eventually get to choosing the software it takes me to a it's website and I have to pay.

Can any one help me out with where to download simply for free? Many thanks.

PS my computer is running XP and is quite old, it does have wireless capability but I have tried several times and over the many yearsI have owned it and with different wireless routers and it does not work, but works fine via cable.

Like this post
eevie

Likes # 0

HI again. I managed to find the original disc, but it still won't work I have installed the usb wireless dongle three times now. First two times the computer hung and so I then try re-install. I can't uninstall as this also makes the computer hang; whether i do it from the uninstall software, cc or windows. Apparentlry when the dongle was first uswd on a different xp machine it did plug and play, which it won't do on mine.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I would have thought that Windows would load its own drivers for the adaptor as most are Plug-n-Play. If all else fails, a new adaptor is very cheap - an example here.

Like this post  
eevie

Likes # 0

I have just spent a few hours trying to sort this out. I reverted back to trying to get the wireless card in the computer to work, I updated the drivers from the Medion website; but still no luckk. Then i tried checking the Wireless Zero Configuration, in properties I changed the service status to start and this seemed to do the trick.

I now have to move the computer and hope the signal strength is sufficient as at the moment windows tells me it's low and in the software with the card it is showing fair at 40% and the computer is right next to the router!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer