We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wireless connection to Internet

Abel
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend and I have recently changed our ISPs to BT. Although both of our BT modems are wireless capable, my system is wired and his laptop used wirelessly. Neither of us has ever used wireless systems before. Attempting to help my friend download some security applications in my house the other day, I was unable to connect to the Internet using his wireless system. I am now told that because each of our wireless systems is protected, I must key-in to his laptop some code or other of mine to enable his laptop to be used in conjunction with my modem. Would some kind individual please tell me if this is correct and also tell me what code, where to find it and where I should key it in to his system?

Abel

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Look under/behind the BT Home Hub ,there should be a row of mixture of 10 digits of letters & numbers,these are your wireless login password.

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

If its a homehub 3,there is a pullout tab on the back of the router with all the info you need,it is all explained clearly when you set it up.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

Many thanks retep888 and tullie. Got the info, but where do I key it in to my friend's machine.

Abel

Like this post
Ashrich

Likes # 0

Scan for wireless networks on your friend's PC , when you see your wireless router double click on the entry , it will ask you for the key , input the details you have and click on Ok , that should take you in .

Ashley
Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Quoted from BT website:

Even if you don't use the BT setup CD, it shouldn't be too hard to connect computers to your wireless network. In Windows XP or Vista a small bubble will appear in the bottom right of your screen letting you know that your computer has detected a Wi-Fi network. If it doesn't, double-click on the wireless icon at the bottom right of the screen, and select "View Wireless Networks".

Look for the name (sometimes called the SSID) of your BT Home Hub, which is printed on the back of the hub and on the wireless settings card. Once you see this in the list of wireless networks, double-click it - now all you should need to do to connect is to enter the wireless key, also printed on the Home Hub and the settings card.

It's just as easy to connect an Apple Mac. Just click the Wi-Fi icon in the top-right of the menu bar and choose your network name from the list. Again, you'll need to provide the wireless key printed on the hub and the settings card.

Like this post
Abel

Likes # 0

After much frustration, I became aware that although my BT hub was wireless capable my computer wasn't. That little bubble that retep888 included in the BT quote was the key. I plugged a dongle, bought some months ago, into a USB port and low and behold, several wireless networks appeared on the screen, including my BT3 hub. What to some may appear quite a simple exercise was quite a steep learning curve for me. However, I now have a better understanding of wireless connection thanks to the contributors to this site. My thanks again.

Abel

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'