We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Locale Printing through Remote desktop

ventanas

Likes # 0

I,m trying to sort out a printing issue, and coming to the conclusion that it probably can't be done.

There is a laptop running Win7 Home Premium 64bit connected to a Workgroup at our branch office. This laptop also connects to the main office through a VPN to a terminal server running Windows Server 2003 (which is 32bit) The printer is a ageing HP laserjet 1320.

I have ticked the appropriate boxes in the RD Properties to use printers and clipboard.

I have managed to install the printer to the laptop by just plugging it in and getting the driver from Windows Update, and it works fine, but when using remote desktop it can't be seen. I suspect because 64bit and 32bit just don't like one another.

I have thought about the universal HP driver, but that is not for the fainthearted.

Please does anyone know how I can get this printer to be recognised while using RD so we can print locally.

Grateful for any help and advice.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The apparent problem between 32bit and 64bit may be insurmountable, but on the other hand they are both MS even though different versions.

I did a bit of digging and found THIS which may help. If not and any reasonable cost is worth the effort, perhaps THESE people may be able to give you some advise.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Apart from not being able to spell "advice", I also found HP Instant Share which also may help.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

Thanks very much for the help, I will have a look tomorrow at all you have linked to.

Thanks again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded