We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unwanted website

geedad

Likes # 0

Windows Home Premium, 64 bit, i5 Intel. My Homepage is normally Virginmedia, but I have recently installed Bear music website. I decided that I did not want this anymore, and tried to uninstall it using Ccleaner. However, it's a persistent annoyance now, since it has taken over my Homepage, and although I CAN access Virgin by moving across the address bar, and although I have tried to make my Virginmedia the Homepage on start up, the Bear still becomes my unwanted homepage! I have checked Add/Remove, but not is not there, 'searched' for related words, re-started PC, but it still pops up! If I try another uninstaller, such as REVO ( if it's 64 bit capable), do you think that would do the trick? Any help would be appreciated! geedad

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Have you tried a basic check Tools/Internet Options/General/ Check homepage is Virginmedia otherwise delete anything else?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You can certainly use Revo,I do on a 64Bit system. Then do as 'Snrub' suggests.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

gengiscant Is that a free REVO?

Snrub Tried that, didn't work! geedad

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Revo does not show all 64bit downloads so the chances of removing it with that are slim.But if you have revo already installed worth a try.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The pro version of Revo will remove it but not the free version.

maybe type bear music to the start search bar and see what left overs are still on your computer.

or a system restore to before you downloaded it but only as a last resort.

Once you go into General and type in the virginmedia web address you also have to press Apply Ok for it to stay like that.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

buteman Thanks. I have tried the suggestions by Snrub, and they don't work. Shows nothing in search, but is always present when attempting to make Virgin my Homepage, even when I delete the Bearshare website in General. Yes, I do use 'Apply'. It comes back like a bad penny whenever I start the PC! I remember once, a forum member suggested re-installing an obstinate programme, then uninstalling it. I might try that! Thanks all. geedad

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I wonder if you've picked up a nasty with bearshare (which is a music site and has a poor WOT rating). Suggest you run malwarebytes free and your anti-virus. Programs do not normally hijack your home page. CCleaner may well help get rid of it.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

I don't think you mentioned which web browser you are using,

link text

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

I have re-installed Bearshare, then followed the instructions on how to uninstall BearShare. There were additional items to remove called MediaBar, and these were two identical icons of these in the Add/Remove programme. I removed these, then used Ccleaner to 'tidy up'. I re-started the PC, started IE, manually inserted my VirginMedia website, Tools/Internet Options, 'use Current', apply , OK. I then re-started the PC ....... it worked! Thanks to you all for your help and advice, geedad

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made