We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Microsoft Security Essentials

Bald Eagle
Resolved

Likes # 0

Running Vista Home Basic. Since the last lot of Microsoft updates 13/7 every time I turn on my computer the MSE icon on the systray has turned orange and I get the warning that I'm at risk because it's not done a scan for days. The only way to get it back to green is to do a scan and even though I select quick scan it ALWAYS does a FULL scan. The auto scan is set for 14.00 on Tuesdays. Any ideas how to get back to normal?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[The auto scan is set for 14.00 on Tuesdays.]

Obviously if the computer is not switched on at the time it will not scan.

Maybe best running it manually or remove it completely and then install it again.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Just go into setting and switch off 'run a scheduled scan on my computer (recommended)then just run a quick scan every so often and a full scan once a month.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

The icon shouldn't turn orange even if a scan hasn't happened for quite a few days...

Another thought... is the clock correct (one in the bios too)?

The fact is does a full scan even when quick scan is selected is odd. A quick scan takes minutes (on mine anyway) but a full scan be over an hour.

Like this post
jolorna

Likes # 0

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

Been away for a few hours leaving a quick scan running. Come back, scan finished but icon orange again! Followed jolorna's link and followed the advice there. Will now run another quick scan. Will be away for quite awhile then because taking Kangoo for new brakes to be fitted and in France they never rush!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

probably not this that you have.

http://www.techjaws.com/beware-of-fake-microsoft-security-essentials/

Even if not I would give Malwarebytes a run just to see if it finds any problems.

Like this post
Bald Eagle

Likes # 0

Have removed MSE, didn't know you could do this, run CCleaner registry cleaner and reloaded MSE from Microsoft after buteman's posting. Now back to normal. Thanks everyone.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger