We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Housekeeping for backup drive

Munchkin

Likes # 0

I have my PC set for scheduled backups to a separate internal drive. I do regular housekeeping on the main drive to clear out unnecessary files and defrag etc. As my backup is a copy of the entire drive should I also be doing this with the backup copy?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

IMHO it is best to do your clean-up on main drive first, then make the backup!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Munchkin - I have the same setup as you ie: 2 x Internal Drives. As per Nontek I clean out all the "crap" on the main drive before I clone it - in my case approx. every 2 days.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

My understanding is that you don't Defrag a backup drive, unless you are regularly deleting items from it and then adding others.

I don't think that you view it as a potential hiding place for Viruses either, unless you have one on the main Drive that has been copied there by the back-up Program.

Like this post
Munchkin

Likes # 0

When my PC carries out its scheduled back up, which in my case is once a week, is it making a complete clone from scratch each and every time, or is it updating the back up copy with items that have changed since the last scheduled back up? Is this where the subject of full back ups and incremental back ups comes into the equation? The subject of making back ups in general gets me a little confused as I'm never quite sure what I should be doing for the best outcome!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Depends how you have set it to do the backups - what backup program are you using?

I use Acronis 2011, and always make Full Backups, usually fortnightly (unless I have been installing/uninstalling programs etc meanwhile).

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I do back ups before cleaning up that way if I inadvertently clean away something I needed I still have it backed up.

I use Acronis weekly to do a full backup but under two different titles so I have two backups one from a week ago and one from the Friday before If I'm working on something important then that is backed up every hour or so to external media, I hate working for nothing :0)

Like this post
Munchkin

Likes # 0

I have a clearer picture of things now. I use Dell backup software that came pre-installed on my PC. I paid a bit more attention to the default settings it was running and learnt that not only does it do a full system back up, but it keeps a version history of each file every time it runs a scheduled back up, so through time the back up file takes up more disk space each time but it gives you the option of consolidating all the back ups into one and keeping only the last backed up version of each file!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...