We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

how do I change the image proportions on my monitor?

alanmondey

Likes # 0

(Apologies in advance - this is probably a real 'newbie' question)

I have a PC running XP, and it used to have an old 14-inch CRT monitor, which as you know is fairly squarish. I did a lot of computer art on it, making images that were mostly square.

I then got a secondhand Hewlett-Packard HPw19 LCD monitor, which is far more rectangular than my old CRT monitor. On this screen, all these square images now look rectangular - they're stretched.

I tried changing the screen resolution - went through all the available resolutions - but that doesn't work.

A friend suggested I update the driver, so I downloaded the driver that the HP website recommends for this monitor. I went through the XP driver update procedure, but I'm not sure if I've done that properly.

So, would updating the driver get the proportions right, and if not, what do I need to do?

Thanks.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The native resolution of the HP monitor you're using is 1,440 x 900. Are you saying that you've changed the screen resolution to that, and it still isn't displaying correctly? What do you see when you right click on the desk top (in XP - might be different with another OS), and click on properties, then settings? Is 1,440 x 900 listed as an option on the slider control? If you're using an old monitor driver, it may well only be giving you 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratios (i.e. squareish) , not 16:9 or 16:10 (i.e. rectangularish) which are the aspect ratios of modern widescreen monitors.

Like this post
alanmondey

Likes # 0

Thanks, Ian. Been trying to update the monitor driver, with no luck. Will start a new thread on this.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you tried View and then Zoom to see if that helps or if you have a scroll wheel on your mouse hold down the Ctrl button and turn the wheel at the same time.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Go into device Manager and see if there is any yellow exclamation marks beside Monitor or any other programs.

Like this post
Poitier

Likes # 0

Have you tried the adjustments on the monitor ? See http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c0066139.pdf

Like this post
steve12345

Likes # 0

One other thing to check is to see if your old crt monitor was using square (1:1 ratio) pixels (What resolution was you running the old crt monitor at?). If it wasn't and your new LCD monitor is running in it's native resolution (which you should always use), your old pictures may well appear distorted.

Take one of your old pictures and rotate it 90 degrees. It should still look the same just rotated 90 degrees. If it distorts then it's the monitor resolution at fault.

If the monitor is running correctly and your pictures are distorted, you can just adjust your picture's proportions using an art/graphics program. There should be a batch processing function, if not then I'm sure you can find one using Google. (Try IrfanView)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings