We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

upgrade from vista to W7

brindly

Likes # 0

I have just tried to upgrade Vista to W7 and got an error code 0X7E. I checked everything was compatable. Running Vista Premium 32 bit service pack 2. Upgrade Microsoft W 7 Home premium. Just doesn't want to install, any ideas?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I take it Windows Home premium is also a 32Bit.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Yes, there are two discs one 32 and the other 64. I tried again after running a scan, nothing was found I then re booted and got alittle further. I went through my computer and opened the file then clocked on install, it statred and got as far as telling me "Install Windows" :Windows was unable to create a required installation folder. Error code 0X80070017. I also did a check on whether my laptop could run w 7 and it said OK. Does that help?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 1

Maybe run sfc /scannow on vista see if that finds any faults.

Switch off all security programs before trying to install W/7

Just a couple of things to try before someone can give you the proper information that will help.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

I ran AVG scan on whole computer just befor I shut down and re booted and then tried the second install How do I shut down all security programs. I went in to control panel and into security where the setting are but not sure how to go from there, bit scary if i am honest. Don't put yourself down yours are good suggestions and thanks for responding.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Sorry to tell you this but you cant do a upgrade installation of a 32 Bit OS to a 64 Bit OS

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just open AVG and click on the any of the security programs that run on it and untick them so that they stop running.As long as you get the shields switched off it should be ok.

I have just removed AVG or I would be able to give you a better idea as to how to stop it from running.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

No sorry, you misunderstand my laptop is a 32 bit Vista Home Premium. I have done another check with Windows 7 upgrade advisor and apart from a few software incompatables it says my laptop can run W7 Home premium, it ticks all the right boxes.

Like this post
c4rm0

Likes # 0

Hi Brindly OK so your OS at the moment is Vista Home premium 32 Bit and i am guessing you bought a W7 Home premium upgrade disk ?

If so from within your Vista OS insert the Disk and run the Setup once it Boots into the OS setup screen are you choosing Upgrade ? or the Custom (Advanced) option ? you should be choosing Upgrade if it gives you the choice between 32 bit or 64 bit version of W7 you have to choose 32 Bit because as i previously said you cant do a upgrade from a 32 bit os to a 64 bit os you have to do a clean install

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

c4rm0. Yes and yes. Unfortunately it hasn't got that far. I will give it another try when I have switched AVG off, see if that make any difference. The upgardes are on two seperate discs, one is 32bit and the other is 64 bit.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote