We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

These updates will NOT install for last 5 weeks!!!!...Driving me crazy, lol!!!

julius44

Likes # 0

Hello and good evening to u all. I have a windows 7 desktop pc, ive had no problems wuth it, as ive had it since may, but there are % updates that refuse to install and ALWAYS seem to fial, and i dont know why, initially the failed updates were just 3 now they've increased to 5!!! They all seem to be linked to office 2003 that I have on my desktop.

Okay here we go..these are the following 5 updates that are failing:

1. Security update for microsoft office 2003 KB2493523 (1.0mb)
  2. Security update for microsoft Excel 2003 KB2541025 (4.9MB)
  3. Update for microsoft 2003 OFFICE KB2539581 (1.1mb)
  4. update for microsoft office 2003 KB2543854 (12kb)
  5. Update for ms outlook 2003Junk email filter KB2553971 (3.4mb)

It gives me an error code of 80070643. I have googled this error code, but i'm confused about what it is asking me to do, So if someone could kindly give me some simple advice on how to rectify the problem quickly please. many thanks Jules

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Did you follow the steps for Office 2003 shown in this Microsoft Link Click Here?

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Yes Chub_tor, i followed the link, and I did exactly as requested, then i restarted my pc......still all 5 updates are failing!!! any other suggestions please??

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

julius44,

I too have Windows 7 ( Home premium 64 Bit ) with Office 2003 ( Professional). As I have not had a problem like yours I like to see what answers you get and what to do about the problem should it occur. However I was completely stymied by chub_tor's suggestion when I went on to the link - it states to use 'System and Maintenance' in Control Panel. Well I have a 'System' but absolutely nothing about 'Maintenance', so what did you use and how did you get to 'System and Maintenance'. It would be very useful to know. Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Housten I just checked what you said and I notice that Adminstrative Tools is found under System and Security not under System and Maintenance

Like this post
julius44

Likes # 0

Hello all, and good evening to u all. i'm still hoping that i can get help with the problems for getting mu updates to install please.Chub_tor i followed your instructions, but still no joy. Any other suggestions please anyone???

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem so I installed them one by one and it worked.

Bit of a pain restarting PC each time but worked ok.

Like this post
Halmer

Likes # 0

I had a similar problem so I installed them one by one and it worked.

Bit of a pain restarting PC each time but worked ok.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I am with chub-tor on this one in that I think your problem is linked to Windows NET.Framework. There is further advice to follow here link text It may be worth trying Halmer's advice first.

Like this post
mehim

Likes # 0

Had the same problem. Instaling one by one adn folowing the solve this problem link (or similar) solved my issues.

Like this post
ventanas

Likes # 0

It's possible that the original downloads have corrupted and every time you try to update Windows thinks it's already got them and of course they won't work. Trace them individually on the Microsoft web site using the KB numbers (make sure you get the right version check for 32bit or 64bit) download and install individually.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do