We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Delete unwanted/unnecessary programmes

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I have had some problems recently and have started looking at what is on the hard drive of my desktop. I do not play games ( well apart from solitaire, when I am waiting for something to be done ) and use the computer to keep an eye on our bank account, and Excel for our shares, with Word used for letter writing and using IE9 for the internet. So apart from mostly basic programmes I don’t think I need any others so when I saw the list of what’s on the hard drive I was most surprised. I have listed five programmes below that I don’t think I need, but I do not know exactly what they do and how they interact with all the other programmes on my hard drive and I am hoping someone may be able to a) tell me what these programmes do and b) whether I need them or can safely delete them. Any advice/help/information on any of the programmes will be very much appreciated and received with many thanks.

The programmes are :-

1/ J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7

2/ Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable –x86 9.0.30729.6161

3/ Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Provider Services ( x86 ) ENU

4/ Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 Core Components ( x86 ) ENU

5/ Apple Application Support

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

1. J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 7 is not needed but you do need Java for some webpages to work, the latest is Java SE6 Update 26

1. The Microsoft visual C++ 2008 redistributable contains "runtime components" and "libraries" that are needed to run some applications on you computer. The redistributable package was most likely installed on your computer by a program that you installed that requires it in order to run. That being said, you should leave it

Microsoft Sync Framework 2.0 you should probably leave alone, to the best of my knowledge it was and may still be used by ATI/Radeon Catalyst.

Apple Application Support is used by Quicktime and itunes, the latter you may not need but Quicktime is often used for internet video.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

they all should be left alone as they are needed, for use in internet surfing. if you have any programs that you can remove look in control panel under add remove programs, you will also see a tab for removing windows components

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your replies. I will take the easy way out and leave them all!! What I will do is delete the Visual C++ programme/file when it gets updated. I noticed about a month ago that there mst have been 5 or 6 copies of this on my computer and I deleted all bar the last one, and I meant to ask the question then but forgot.

So, many, many thanks once again to you for your time and trouble.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I would be tempted to suggest that you're mad trying to "Delete" any programs installed by Windows.

While it may not be immediately obvious what a particular program is doing, you will have no idea whether another part of Windows needs to access it to function properly.

I would be very wary as the potential benefit will, very likely, be minimal and the potential for a problem is much higher.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Agree with wee eddie and woodchip leave well alone.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

They may be part of Security Updates

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......