We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

DVD drawer opening at boot up for example

peterjm

Likes # 0

1 The DVD drawer opens sometimes at boot up and at other times. 2 The sound scheme no longer operates though the testing of sounds does. 3 To click on a link in Outlook Express no longer takes me to Internet Explorer. Instead I have to right click on the link > Copy then bring IE up and paste it for a search. TIA

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Like this post
peterjm

Likes # 0

I did not have a CD and therefore I went to http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html (Uniblue)where I was persuaded to part with some cash which I did after I had seen the Microsoft approved logos etc.

I still have the same problems as itemised.

Note that I am a little disillusioned with Uniblue who offer a price then add VAT when one is practically commited and I also suspect that the software has a yearly limit, even possibly to the end of this year.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

go to device manager, look for any yellow exclamation marks. This means that drivers have not been loaded, right click on them and choose update driver

Like this post
peterjm

Likes # 0

Thank you for your interest Woodchip. There are no yellow exclamation marks. The drawer still opened for me at boot up and the other items still fail. Could it be that regarding item 3 that it is something to do with Outlook Express?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

What happen when you tried sfc /scannow did it ask for the CD?

The link was meant for you to read what to do if you didn't have a disk, no click on any adverts for useless promises of an all fix solution (snakeoil) :0(

Like this post
peterjm

Likes # 0

I got a small window that was headed Window File Protection which stated that files required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL cache. Insert your Windows Professional service pack 3 CD now with an clickable options to Retry or More Information or Cancel. As I don't have a CD I am stuck it appears as I have a uccesion of small window that put me on a gobbledegook roundabout.

I don't know if this is relevant but the CD drawer opens immediately on switching on and sometimes having retracted it, it will sometimes open after booting is complete.

I did try getting you a picture of these windows by printing the screen, going to Photoshop and copying and pasting to this reply but it didn't work. Pity.

Thank you for your interest. What is Snakeoil?

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

peterjm,

I had this issue some time ago, this is what I tried 1. Delete the dvd/cd drive in device manager, reboot and let Windows re-install the drivers. 2. Update the firmware for the dvd/cd drive. 3 Re-install Windows. Option 3 was my last resort and appeared to cure the issue, but alas it returned. In the end I decided it was the dvd/cd drive that had become faulty so purchased a new one from Amazon, so far so good, the new dvd/cd drive performs perfectly.

Like this post
peterjm

Likes # 0

Press Man. I appreciate your comments but the fact that these 3 things occured at the same time seems to indicate a common cause and as I am not familiar with what you propose, I hesitate to go down that route.

Ah well. As some computer newby once remarked, I can always use the drawer for holding my morning cup of coffee.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

As Press Man Uninstall the DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot your PC it will reload the drive and drivers for it

Like this post
Press Man

Likes # 0

peterjm,

If you hesitant to follow my suggestions, I understand. Do you know when these 3 faults first occured? If so, then try asystem restore to before that time. If it is to do with "drivers", "software" or a registry error then maybe doing a system restore will cure it?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014