We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hard Disk Problems

Mark5001

Likes # 0

Recently my second "data" hard drive has started to disappear from windows. After rescanning the drive it re-appears with an autoplay box asking what I want to do with the files. I could be playing music from it when it's suddenly gone. I have all my important kids photo's on it that I have been trying to save to dvd, but half way or so through the burn the drive drops out and I get a burning error as there is nothing to burn. Any ideas out there please. SATA wires changed, drivers updated, virus scans done, but all to no avail. Running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit. TIA. Mark.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Internal or external drive?

Check BIOS is not turning off SATA ports (unlikely as it reappears)

Try changing power connection from PSU if you have a spare

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

The first thing I would suggest is that you copy everything of importance to another (external?) HDD as it's quicker than burning.

Do you have any other backup of the data? If not you need to consider ensuring that all essential data on the PC is backed up.

If you have a HDD monitor installed it may well be worth checking the drive condition.

After you have saved your data you could run CHKDSK (this is done by right clicking the subject drive, select 'Tools' and click on 'Check Now' in the HDD checking area - follow any instructions).

This may also be temperature related; have you used a monitor to check drive temperatures?

Like this post
Mark5001

Likes # 0

It is an internal drive, maxtor (now seagate) so downloaded and ran seatools for windows and it passed all tests. I have tried backing it up to my main hard disk but it gets so far and then disappears again. Temperature was OK at time of checking. Tried a few backup tools with limited success.Changed the sata cables and power as suggested. I am looking at a sata to ide converter to see if that works long enough to save the data.

Like this post
Mark5001

Likes # 0

I have (I Hope) solved it. I disconnected the offending drive from the sata port and started the PC. I got a message saying that Boot Manager was missing. A reconnect allowed windows to start again. So I disconnected it again and re-installed windows and now all is fine (touch wood). It seems that the boot manager was on the data drive and windows on the other, a problem I have never seen before. Thanks for the help.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

May take longer but try saving only a small volume of files at a time and see what happens. Obviously this would be easier between HDDs.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today