We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Thumbnail Preview Image

m800afc

Likes # 0

Intel Core i7 CPU 950@3.07GHz 3.81GHz 12Gb RAM ATI Radeon HD 5770

Monitor 1 - BenQ2400W (Landscape) Monitor 2 - BenQ2400W (Portrait) Win 7 Pro 64bit

Does anyone know a way of persuading W7 to display thumbnails of xar (Xara) and nef (Nikon) files?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Here is one suggestion from Google for nef files

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Another one, Link.

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Thanks for the suggestions. chub_tors suggestion for nef files just does not work at all on my system. Sorry. rdave13 your suggestion does work. It is the one on the official Xara website. The problem is that it only works for the folder you are working with, and if you open a different folder you have to apply the patch again. The patch is not saved, so to speak, and if you reopen the original folder you still have to use the workaround again. Equally if you shut down your computer the fix is lost and when you open a folder, the xar files are not thumbnailed and you have to start all over again. What I am after are fixes that will thumbnail all xar and nef files contained in a folder as soon as I open a folder, just like XP did.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

For .xar read this [.xar thumbnails not showing? ]1

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

From Google Click Here the top three or four are all for .nef files

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd: Thanks very much for the suggestion. I managed to get it working after a few attempts and now all seems to be well.

The nef codec is causing problems. I have tried the Nikon Codec several times, removing and reinstalling, but it flat out doesn't work. All the third party nef viewers I have tried will only open individual files, one at a time. I just want to open a folder and see all the thumbnails in one go, just as any folder works with jpg's, I will have to ask Nikon, but I am not holding my breath.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

For your .nef Photos Click here

If you have got Windows Live Photo Gallery ( If Not get it from here http://explore.live.com/windows-live-photo-gallery?os=other )

Once you have it (Windows Live Photo Gallery) running, Click File, Include a folder in the gallery..., Select the Folder where your .nef Photos are, Click OK, When it's done importing, it will ask you to install the codec to view these formats, Download it and Install the Codec.

When it's finished installing it will ask you if you want to re-boot your PC Now or Later (I chose Later), then I Closed WLPGallery and opened up Windows Explorer, Went to the Folder with my RAW (Sony .ARW) file are, and all of them showed a Thumbnail picture.

Also they (the Photos) Right mouse click Preview in Widows Photo Viewer

Got to go, Getting late, I will have more info on another application to help with RAW Photos.

See you later.

David

Like this post
m800afc

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd:

I have tried to download Windows Live Photo Gallery. When the Windows Live Essentials dialog box opens Photo Gallery and Movie Maker are shown as being installed. I have not installed them and they do not appear in any folder according to the search results, including hidden files and folders. The Windows Live Photo Gallery does not appear in add/remove programs neither does it appear in Revo Uninstaller. What can I do to enable me to install Windows Live Photo Gallery?

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

Note: Windows Live Photo Gallery might already be installed on your computer. To find out, click the Start button (Orb) type photo gallery in the search box, and see if it appears in the list of results.

If it does Click it, Then carry on with the rest of my post from this morning,

from here, Click File, Include a folder in the gallery..., Select the Folder where your .nef Photos are, Click OK.

David

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote