We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Very slow computer

pitcairn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I am running Vista with Yahoo as home page. My computer is very slow to start up and even slower to close down. I have run Malaware and it did not show any problems. Can anyone offer advice?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Get into these two, and do a good old clear-out, CCleaner and Defraggler. There is little to loose and possibly a decent speed hike from a crap free system, to gain. They're both free.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Some times you have to bity the bullett,save all your data e.t.c. and reinstall windows, a pain i know but you'd be surprised the crus that you accumilate on your machine.wee eddie is right try this first though both programs are excellent,to get defraggler click on the pear on ccleaner (Top righthand corner) and you'll find it in there,

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Have a look to say how much RAM is installed as well. An increase is often cheap and effective.

Like this post
pitcairn

Likes # 0

How do I get a free ccleaner?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

How do I get a free ccleaner? Click on wee eddie's link.

Like this post
pitcairn

Likes # 0

Must have had a senior moment!!

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Did you check the amount of RAM? Right click 'My Computer' then 'Properties'. A lot of Vista computers were sold with insufficent RAM, so it's worth a check.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If you have got Ccleaner then click on Tools on the lhs and then Startup.You can disable programs when your computer is switched on.And can put them back on when you want them.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite