We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

sas false positive?

sunnystaines
Resolved

Likes # 0

anyone been getting false positives last few days with superantispyware. been getting "hijacker deskbar" & "HBHelper" which it needs reboot to clean but is back on its next scan.

full scan with malwarebytes and norton 2011 show clean results

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Will run a scan now. If you still have Spybot S&D might be worth running a scan with that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Nothing - just four cookies.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

rdave thanks i will try some online scans

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Sunny, if it's a file that SAS is identifying as malware, and you know its location on your PC, then you can upload it to one or both of these malware scanning sites:

Jotti's malware scan

Virus Total

Your file will be scanned by anti-virus engines from multiple vendors and a report given. The results should then help you decide whether it's a false positive or not. If it is an FP then you should be able to tell SAS to ignore that file.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at this thread, link ,cured by restoring an image. Worth running SAS and Malwarebytes in safe mode?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

rdave

read the links downloaded the hitman pro free trial the scan came up clean too.

so i presume a false positive just got to wait for sas to fix. i was unable to copy and paste the sas results to the forum.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I just ran updated SAS with just the usual adaware tracking cookies found - which it finds better than Malawarebytes.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

downloaded and run spybot sd clean result too, updated sas and re run still same result, i presume with all other software coming clean on results it must be a fp. thought by now sas would have fixed it. very surprised no one else got it.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Sunny, did you see my post from yesterday?

If the object that SAS detects as malware is a file then uploading it to one of those suspicious-file scanners will tell you quickly whether it's an FP or not - it's certainly a lot quicker than installing different anti-malware products and running lengthy scans.

If SAS is detecting something different such as a Registry key then let us know more about it.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel

tried the jotti's link and downloaded their stopzilla program this took forever to scan then reported 79 items but when it came to delete i had to "buy" to delete so hit the unistall during which it offered a free key number [why was this hidden when the software was advertised as free]so registered for the free option then rebooted to complete the clean. thinking i had finally sorted the problem alas a rerun of sas same problems came up again.

i reported the fp to sas but not heard back maybe as i only have the free version. not sure how to upload the results as unable to work out how to copy the results from sas.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia