We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

usb drive win 98 and xp

jammin

Likes # 0

I need to take some date from an old win 98 system to a vista laptop the only method to do this is with a usb stick vista recognises the usb but win 98 doesn't - it searches for the driver but as it isnt connected to the net can't find it so the question is - will the usb work with win 98 and vista and if so how do I get the drivers onto the win 98 pc thanks for any help

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Does it not have CDRW drive to burn to disc

Like this post
jammin

Likes # 0

woodchip no cdrw drive, its an very old pc and the cd drive is broken

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Simplest way is to put the 98 drive into an external caddy and connect it to the vista machine.

or

connect the 98 machine to your router with a cable set up networking and share the 98 drive

Like this post
jammin

Likes # 0

fruit bat is that really the simplest way? that would then mean removing the hard disk from the pc and setting it up in a caddy - or setting up a network through the router are these easy things to do?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

(* machine

Switch off

take off side panel- 4 screws

remove drive - two cables 4 screws

Your machine (if a desktop) Switch off take of side panel disconnect ide and power cable from DVD drive (assumming ide DVD)

connect hard drive temoparily

Boot up and transfer contents

switch off remove drive reconnect DVD

Like this post
jammin

Likes # 0

thanks fruit bat - its sounds simple, i will have a look in the next day or two and give it a try

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If the Motherboard as a IDE connection it could be fitted internal to get info off it

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

You could fit a USB card into the W98 PC, which is what I did, they are not expensive. David

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

David4637

Already has USB but 98 requires drivers for USB sticks and how do you get the drivers in when no CD working and unlikely to have a floppy drive on the machine you can download drivers to :0)

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

My USB card came with a CD with drivers, so it recognises my mem stick. You say W98 has a USB, has it never worked, not sure what you are trying to say? David

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK