We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

data transfering

ozzymodo

Likes # 0

Hi there (muggings here again) Both my wife and I have the same make and model laptop (sad I know but they were on offer yrs ago) unfortunatly my wife had an accident with hers and it fell onto the floor. I noticed that one of the lid hinges had broken but I tried to fix it so that it would open/close. I tried to power it up but nothing, so I swapped the hard drives over and her's worked fine in mine so I know that that is ok, unfortunatly upon powering hers up with my drive in I noticed the screen was very dim and thats is what needs fixing. What I would like to know is of a free (if poss)way of transferring all the wifes data from her hard drive onto an external one so that we can use mine and she can access her files until we get a new one for her in a few weeks time. Any help greatly appreciated as usual. Many thanks in advance Ian

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If machine is booting but screen is dead / dim

you could try connecting machine to external monitor (flat screen TV) use Fn+ F key with blue square to switch to external monitor.

It's possible it could be just a loose connection to the screen / invertor or backlight failed.

Hard drive can be fitted into a caddy see here and connected to your machine.

However to access the files you may need to take permission so what op system are you using Vista?

Like this post
ozzymodo

Likes # 0

Hi fruit bat, and thanks for reply, sorry my response is late but the wifes been using my lappy lol. We are using xp, and the main things she is wanting to transfer are all her pics and codes that are with them which she uses when putting them up on the forum she uses as they upload easy and are quick to view etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do