We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

unmountable_boot_volume

john the scone

Likes # 0

GOT MESSAGE SAYING ' UNMOUNTABLEBOOTVOLUME'. TRIED TO REPAIR USING WINDOWS AND RECOVERY DISC BUT DID NOT FULLY WORK. TRIED DOING FULL SYSTEM RESTORE USING RECOVEY PARTITION AND LATER THE RECOVERY DISC BUT AS THE PROCESS BEGINS GET A BIG RED ERROR MESSAGE ON SCREEN SAYING ' ERROR' AND AT THE TOP OF SCREEN A SMALL MESSAGE SAYING ' CANNOT SET TEMP PATH TO WORK IN@ . AT A LOSS NOW WHAT TO DO AS THIS WAS MY FINAL SOLUTION. ANY HELP MUCH APPRECIATED. NOW WHEN I TURN IT ON IT JUST SAYS MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM! asus laptop , win 7 , all up to date,

Like this post
Jollyjohn

Likes # 0

shhh - please dont shout.

With PC off open up the case and disconnect and reconnect all hard drive leads. Boot up and enter BIOS - check here that hard drives are recognised. If not then it would suggest the drive has failed and you will not be able to run a repair. If recognised then boot from cd and enter recovery consol type fdisk /mbr Enter, and reboot.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Boot from the Windows 7 DVD.
  2. Select Repair my computer.
  3. Select Command Prompt
  4. From the command prompt enter the following command: Chkdsk /R C: where “C” is your boot drive.
  5. Answer Y to check the disk the next time that the system restarts.
  6. Reboot the system. After the reboot, Windows will check the hard disk and try to repair the damaged area.
  7. If you still get the error after this process, repeat the process but try rebuilding the master boot record at the command prompt with the following command: bootrec /fixboot and then rebooting
Like this post
john the scone

Likes # 0

sorry for shouting. thanks for replies but: cant find a way into the hard drive, its an asus x5dc notebook and having trouble locating a way in as cant find no info about how/ where it is . also tried to repair from dvd and after disk check the system did sort of load up but couldnt access any of my files or user accounts and kept putting me in temp acct, erasing everything i did when i logged off, along with loads of other strange things it was doing decided to go for full restore after that.so cant repair from dvd now due to the error message

Like this post
john the scone

Likes # 0

hi there, now got into laptop and checked hard drive, seems ok as it just slots in/out, no leads, and when turned back on, same problem as before , but how and where do i check hard drive in bios, what am i looking for ? thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

This could be down to a loose drive.

try removing and refitting the drive to remake the contacts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia