We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

monitor signal lost

darthballs

Likes # 0

im a bit stumped as to if i can do anything for this one.my son tried updating the drivers on his pc (aopen on windows xp) but just downloaded a ton of drivers and installed them all!! now when it reboots up there is no signal going to the monitor (monitors power comes on, butt the standby light just flickers)

is there anything i can do without resorting to a repair shop? would it possible to follow, on another xp pc the keys you'd press to get to "go back to last known working configuration" via the f8 button, i know id be flying blind on the problem pc, but would it be worth a shot?

thanks for any advice, and i've told him its fault if he has to lose all of his homework!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Reboot

Keep Tapping F8 as boots and see if you get a menu come up select safemode

when it boots into safemode do a system restore to a time before he installed the drivers.

If it won't do that you can remove the hard drive connect to another PC (or place in an external caddy) and connect to another PC to retrieve the data before doing any thing else.

Hope fully this will teach him the value of Backing UP important data :0)

Like this post
darthballs

Likes # 0

i tried the first bit, didnt work, ive got the hdd in another, much older pc as the fittings are different in mine, but it comes up with...

windows could not start bacause the following file is missing or corrupt \WINDOWS\inf\biosinfo.inf

attempt to repair by using original set up cd rom and windows setup, which i cant do as the cd rom drive isnt working, i tried the dvd drive but wont do it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback