We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

pc hangs on desktop

elbecko

Likes # 0

hi.

i have windows xp sp3. avast anti-virus, comodo firewall, and ad-aware running in the background. although not running continuously i also scan with super anti-spyware, avira anti-spyware, malwarebytes anti-malware.

my pc starts ok and gets to the desktop. however once i use a mouse button a large hourglass appears rendering the computer useless. i am unable to open a browser or anything else.

i can leave it like this for hours hoping it will change, but it never does. the only way i can 'beat' this is by clicking on the browser icon as soon as the desktop appears. this is before everything on the desktop has loaded. before all the little icons in the bottom tray appear.

the other problem which i'm sure is related is this. when i click to shutdown the pc, it'll start going thru' the different stages but get stuck on the blue screen that says windows is shutting down. then i have to use the power on/off button to turn it of. this doesn't happen every time, probably 60%. however, when it does shut down by itself it will take a hell of a long time in doing so.

this all started a few weeks ago. i don't have a lot of startup programmes, only five. should i do a system restore from a good few weeks ago?

hope someone can help please? thanks.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Have you scanned your PC with your updated spyware and anti virus programs. Try Malwarebytes

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

If you can't get in windows try the above scans in Safe mode

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

It sounds like you have some piece of software misbehaving at start-up and shut-down, it will be time consuming to track down which one it is.You could go to start - run - msconfig - then click on start-up and stop any program that really does not need to start when you power up your PC. For some reason producers of software seem to think that it needs to start when your PC does, whereas this is rubbish. so see if there is stuff there you don't need right away.

you could try this http://www.soluto.com/ which also does the same as msconfig but with this you can also delay when software starts, giving your PC a chance to fully kick in before other software starts.

Here is a similar product. http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show/startdelay You will be amazed at what actually wants to start-up after you have pushed the power button.

Like this post
elbecko

Likes # 0

thanks for all your help.

i was just went to run-msconfig, to get the system configuration tool and looked at the general tab/startup selection.

'selective startup' is currently ticked. should it be on 'normal startup' instead? or will that simply cause loads of things to run at every startup. [i currently only have 5 things running at startup, i suppose that is whats meant by 'selective startup'???]

thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite