We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Transfer a 11g File from Desktop to Laptop

DavidM4
Resolved

Likes # 0

Trying to transfer a 11gb .mkv file from my desktop top my laptop using an external HD but keep getting an error message saying the ext hd is full even though there is 95g free space! Help please! And why can't I transfer directly from PC to PC using usb?

Thamks in advance!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 1

usb I meant a male to male usb lead from the desktop direct to the laptop, sorry I didn't make myself very clear on that one.

this will not work and may well damage your machines

Volume label

Be sure your not formatting

if not then type anything you like -- this is just a name for the drive enter leaves it blank.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 1

I'm guessing that there's a network in the house - in your position I would be inclined to share the folder that your video is stored in (right click, Properties, sharing, Share), and then transfer it across the network, totally bypassing the need to use (and therefore format) your external hard drive. Connect both desktop and laptop to the router by cable if possible rather than wireless for a faster transfer speed.

Like this post  
DavidM4

Likes # 0

Nice one fellas the network solution works a treat! thanks all!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

why can't I transfer directly from PC to PC using usb?

USB stick? probably formatted FAT32 which can't handle files bigger than 4G may be your external drive is aswell

To convert your drives to NTFS: Right click on 'my computer' and select 'manage' From the computer management window, expand storage and select 'disk management.' Using the 'file system' column of the upper pane of this window, you can easily check what file system each of your logical drives is using. Make a note of this information. Now open a command prompt window by going to 'start\run' and typing 'cmd' To convert a disk to NTFS, type 'convert (drive letter): /fs:ntfs' So for example, if you were going to convert your D: drive, you would type 'Convert D: /fs:ntfs' at the prompt.

Like this post
DavidM4

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\,sorry about the late response.

Tried what you advised and it responds with "Enter current volume label for drive G". What should I type?

By usb I meant a male to male usb lead from the desktop direct to the laptop, sorry I didn't make myself very clear on that one.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Like this post
DavidM4

Likes # 0

"An incorrect volume label was entered for this drive" is the response when I leave it blank or type anything.

Thanks for the cable warnings and advice!

Like this post
DavidM4

Likes # 0

PS my system drive is NTFS and my externals are both FAT32 if this helps.

The error message in full when I try to drag/drop, copy/paste... is

Error Copying File or Folder (Window header)

Cannot copy (name of file): There is not enough free space.

Delete one or more files to free disk space, and then try again.

To free space on this drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click Disk Cleanup.

(options) Disk Cleanup... (or) OK
Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

As before FAT32 can not handle files bigger than 4G hence the error message.

One of your externals need converting to or formatting as NTFS.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes