We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Pavilion DV4-100ea: Fan problem so Bios update-easy or not?

buel

Likes # 0

Hello, My gf has the above laptop that has always had a very annoying problem with the fan being on all the time and being quite loud. Apparently this is a common problem with this, and similar, models.

I have done the usual regular cleaning with a can of compressed air but it doesn't fix the problem for long.

I spoke to my local computer store yesterday and he said there were two options: 1, buy a laptop cooler with a built-in fan (but to me this doesn't sound like a problem solver as there will still be a fan on in the background. 2, He said that he could update the bios. I asked him how this could make a difference and he said perhaps the laptop was giving out an incorrect temperature reading, making the fan come on when it wasn't needed.

They said they would charge me £25 for this.

I would like to know two things please: 1, Is this a likely answer/is the £25 worth it? 2, Is it possible to change/modify the temperature reading IF it is incorrect or is it just a case of this being done automatically with a bios update.

Thank you in advance for any answers.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit Bat, it does seem slightly better although i will judge it over the next few days to come to a better conclusion. Just one point- There was no HP Power management option so i chose the Medium power option.

At the moment the fan is on but seemingly not as much as it was, however, if a scan is started then it boosts right up again-Grrrr!!

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

One more thing- the fan is caked in dust that my can of compressed air just wont shift (although it does get rid of the excess dust in the fan area), Would getting this fan cleaned make any difference at all?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes, a lot of difference This video link text may help you to see how to get at it to clean it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

First things first. Have you looked in the BIOS for Fan Settings, as it may be that is as, same as one of my Laptops and I was able to stop it being on all the time. So check it first for Settings

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Its not the fan that's the Problem, its the Heatsink that gets covered in fluff and it gets just like sound proofing material only way to shift it is by stripping it down. Not blowing it further in with Air

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks