We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help with Linux query

geedad

Likes # 0

I have a Windows XP as my 2nd. Pc, and I am thinking of using Linux O/S on that machine. Has anyone had the experience of changing from XP to Linux? geedad

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

It's really easy.

First, choose a distribution (known as a distro) that suits you. That's by far, the hardest part, as there are hundreds to choose from. However, in order to get the list to a more presentable number, here's what I suggest you look at:

Linux Mint - an excellent Windows like operating system, that will be fairly familiar in use to any Windows user.

Ubuntu 10.10 - Note: not Ubuntu 11.04, which sadly is buggy. Well supported and possibly the largest user base for a single system.

OpenSuSE- an enterprise strength distro, with some very solid background code, in an easy to use interface.

Accept, Linux is not Windows. That may seem a very obvious statement, but time and time again, I see Windows users expecting to maintain the system exactly the same as they do in Windows. Don't even think about it! Linux is Linux and you have to accept you are going to do things differently. Once you're used to it, in many ways it's a lot easier.

You can find here, an article I wrote for my local Linux User Group about four years ago, but is (mostly) just as relevant today. It gives an overview of what to expect and also provides some links to other relevant articles. Note particularly, "How to burn an iso file" if you've never done it before.

You do need to consider what hardware you are going to run this system on. The latest distros, (while not requiring Windows bloated specifications), do need reasonable specifications to work properly. If you're computer has a low specification (particularly RAM), then Puppy Linux may be a good choice.

Please come back here if you need further help.

Like this post
geedad

Likes # 0

LastChip Thank you very much for your in-depth article about Linux. Do Windows 7 PCs talk to Linux OS's? I have fairly new PC, Intel i5, Home Premium, 64bit, connected wirelessly to the XP. They share emails but not devices. How would they share ? geedad

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

In the first instance i would not do a full install of Linux.

The distros mentioned above can be booted directly from the CD/DVD. You will see a poorer performance but you will get feel for Linux and the particular flavour

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

You can network Linux and Windows PC's seamlessly. It's done via an application (program) call Samba.

In fact, whilst being slightly different, the chances are, when surfing the Internet, your Windows machines will be accessing Linux servers. Google and Facebook are just two examples of corporate giants that run their services on Linux.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

7 lessons Apple could learn from Microsoft (yeah, you read that right)