We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Dial Up?

Legslip

Likes # 0

My pal has purchased a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Win 7 and wishes to use it on a dial-up connection in a remote cottage. He says it doesn't work. I think there may be two problems.

1 There may not be a 56k modem in the laptop (I'll have to check the model & spec.) If not, any recommends?

2 His ISP (BT) have told him that Win & does not work with Dial-Up. I can't believe that but can anyone comment please?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I haven't got 7 but according to this it is possible to set up dial up Windows 7 dial up

. Very surprised if the new laptop has a modem. He'll have to go USB modem.

Like this post
David4637

Likes # 0

I have W7 64 bit on Tosh Laptop with dial up, and had to buy an external modem that plugs into the USB port, I think it cost about £12, is small and works OK. David

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks all. Solutions noted. Will buy a USB modem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days