We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC Network Connection Problem

I,Me and Myself

Likes # 0

Now before I begin, I'm not great with the ins and outs of certain aspects of a PC but I do try to do as much as I can to help. If this question or similar has been answered before or if I have posted in the wrong place, I am sorry, I don't mean to offend anyone.

We are with O2 and have a wireless router and have three desktop PC's using it. Everything has been fine until this afternoon when my daughter's connection to the internet suddenly decided to drop.

She has a 200mbps Home Plug in order to give her a better connection so what I did was to disconnect that and then plug in an Ethernet cable. She managed to get a connection and for the rest of today she was happy with leaving the cable connected until we could sort out the Home plug problem tomorrow.

However, after about 15 minutes the connection went again.

I have told her to do a complete scan with her anti virus - which is what is happening right now.

The other two PC's which use the same router are working fine.

If you need any more details then let me know - I really don't know what details to give at this time and, to be hones, I don't really know where to look for any details.

Windows 7.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

after about 15 minutes the connection went again

Check in device manager - Nertwok Adaptors right click - properties - power management tab - ensure Allow the Computer to turn off... is unticked.

Like this post
I,Me and Myself

Likes # 0

I will Fruit Bat /\0/\ when the virus scan has finished and will reply with answer.

Like this post
I,Me and Myself

Likes # 0

Right, the box was checked and is now unchecked but still not working.

The PC is connected to our network but will not connect to the internet.

Like this post
I,Me and Myself

Likes # 0

There is now an internet connection but it is painfully slow whereas the other two PC's are up to speed.

Like this post
I,Me and Myself

Likes # 0

Do we need to download install any updated drivers for the network card and Ethernet adaptors?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try flushing the DNS see here

Like this post
I,Me and Myself

Likes # 0

DNS was flushed and then could not connect to internet at all so she turned PC off for the night (had had enough of it).

After the PC was switched off I removed the Ethernet cable and plugged the Home Plug back in.

As of yet, the PC in question has not been turned back on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen