We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Elderly Luddite in need of assistance!

kimtrnc

Likes # 0

Having struggled with 7 for several years, I have decided that I really, REALLY, don't like it. No doubt there will be lots of other problems, but at the moment I am unable to actually send any emails through Windows Live Mail, which I assumed would work perfectly. Wrong!! Could some kind person tell me what I should be doing? My email provider is gmail.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

This link text any help?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Or you could just use Gmail, and have it as a home page, then you would have no need for Windows live Mail.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Click Here will take you to the page for setting up GMail in Windows Live Mail. It needs to be set as an IMAP account on the Incoming Mail Server with Incoming Mail IMAP.GMAIL.COM and Outgoing Mail SMTP.GMAIL.COM. I have mine set up that way and it works perfectly. The page I have linked to will explain simply all the steps to follow for Live Mail which is different from the link by onthelimit1 which is for Windows Mail and not Live Mail.

Stick with Windows 7, it will grow on you and is very stable.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Whoops, sorry!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I use pop Gmail with Outlook without any snags.

To set up pop see Google mail pop help

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Woolwell on the page you linked to if you look at the supported POP email clients you will see only Windows Mail listed, not Windows Live Mail. I don't think that you can configure GMail for POP in Live Mail, it needs to be IMAP, although it seems to work in POP for Outlook.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My link was to other e-mail clients. I have pop gmail running on Windows Live Mail on my Vista laptop.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Most problems are because people haven't first enabled POP on the web server, as per Gmails instructions Enabling POP

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Today's bargains phones, tablets, laptops and more for Black...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers