We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Moving from XP to Win7

Mack1

Likes # 0

At long last I am going to move from XP to Win 7 Premium.Having asked around it appears that Win 7 is only available as 64 Bit whereas my XP is 32 Bit.This will mean that some of my present programs won`t run on Win7.I am buying a new tower by the way and not upgrading XP. I have been informed by my ISP that I will need a router.As a senior citizen I don`t want to make life any more complicated than it already is so what is a router and does it alter the way I use the Internet for instance? Explanations in laymans language would be much appreciated.Thanks in advance.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

There are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 Home Premium, although most new Desktop PCs will probably have the 64-bit version installed. 32-bit programs should run without problems in 64-bit Windows, but peripherals such as printers, scanners etc will require the 64-bit drivers.

A router is a device that allows multiple computers to access the internet simultaneously. However, as versions of Windows after XP (i.e. Vista and 7) don't generally have suitable drivers for USB ADSL Modems, ISPs moved over to providing combined modem/routers for internet access even for a single PC.

With a modem/router, it is that which connects to the internet, not the PC which gets its internet access over the network by connecting to the router by ethernet cable or "wirelessly".

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

My daughters desktop is 32bit and my laptop is 64bit and the both run fine with all my peripherals

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

I have just moved over from a laptop running XP Home SP3 Fat 32 files to a tower running Windows 7 Home premium 64 bit and my old canon scanner and printer work just fine. My programs are OK and all my files, photos documents etc open without a glitch.

I for one think Windows 7 is fantastic.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If your ISP asks you to pay for a new router, suggest that they may like to give you one for free otherwise you will consider changing ISPs. They will usually agree to keep your custom

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks