We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Best freebie security downloads please

Damarc

Likes # 0

I've got reinsalled os to protect and have always used AVG, superantispyware and spywareblaster plus windows XP firewall. The bloke at the computer centre said that it is better to only have one piece of software and that AVG should be sufficient but I'm not convinced. Are there better freebies out there now please?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Your list sounds fine to me. If you want a better (2 way) firewall (free of course) you could always replace the XP item with, say, PC Tools Firewall Plus. Once installed it needs to 'learn' what you like/dislike and asks a few questions but after this it is fine.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

You should only have one antivirus prog, but it's sensible to have anti malware as well. Your list looks fine to me (except I prefer MSE to AVG as I've found it doesn't slow my PC down as much).

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

Is it as bad as Zone Alarm as I had to turn that off as my husband was getting totally confused with its repeated requests which he didn't understand.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

"Is it as bad as Zone Alarm .."

I have never used Zone Alarm but have heard of some problems/difficulties people have had with it. When I installed PC Tools Firewall, I used the 'automatic' method. After installation it asked sometimes whether a program should be allowed to connect or not; on that basis I would say it is not complicated. When installed it automatically turns the XP firewall off but if you then uninstall it the XP item restarts.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

I'm afraid I had problems with PC Tools Firewall. I brought the pc back from the computer centre and booted it up and a dialogue box appeared with no firewall, your pc is at risk. I had already downloaded PC Tools on a memory stick from my laptop ready to download to the desktop. Afterwards everything snarled up and I had to reboot several times. I managed to get into Windows firewall and it stated that the firewall was on so I could only assume that the two firewalls were conflicting. I couldn't seem to turn the windows firewall off before everything snarled up again. So, on rebooting again, I disconnected the PC Tools firewall and uninstalled it. Again my pc said there was no firewall working so I had to manually turn Windows firewall on again and so far, everything is working, so I've left it alone. I didn't want to mess around too much having had the entire OS reinstalled at the shop and it's very easy for everyone to pass the buck if something doesn't work properly. At least I know that it is working fine to date. Thank you.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

" Is it as bad as Zone Alarm".

I have used Zone Alarm for a number of years now, and like many if not all programs its just a case of reading the instructions first, then setting up to requirements.

If you install to many 'same' type programs, then you might get conflicting problems, which you do not want.

Over the years I have experimented with a number of security and protection programs. Some work, some do not, depending on what you are looking at. On the basis of that, all my computers have AVG, ZoneAlarm and Malwarebytes installed. All are free versions and seem to do the jobs intended.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Apologies, I should have said Avast and not AVG.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

[The bloke at the computer centre said that it is better to only have one piece of software and that AVG should be sufficient but I'm not convinced.]

No doubt looking for more custom from you.

Time to lash out and invest in something better.

if you can afford to go to the chap in the computer center you can afford to pay out for better security.

Why not try this.

Emisoft Anti malware and AVG pay for versions for £20 the pair.

Click on Emisoft Anti malware for it to open and give you the choice of 3 programs for £20.98.

http://store.v3.co.uk/?act=search&brand=289

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED