We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade advice please help?

monkeymandg

Likes # 0

Hi

My desktop is about 6 years old and recently the video card died. I am running windows 7 and my spec is:

AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Processor

1024MB DDR400 RAM (PC3200) Memory

200GB Serial ATA (150Mb/s) Ultra Fast Hard Drive

128MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600 - PCI Express

I don't know much about computer hardware as in what would be compatable or what fitment type I need. Therefore any advice or ideally a recommended make/model of video card would be much appreciated? Also if I wanted to upgrade my RAM at the same time what fitment/type would I need?

Thanks Dave

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I would say you need a memory upgrade to run window 7, if you are using the 32 bit version add 2gb and if using the 64 bit add 4gb of the best memory you can afford.

You may find a card to suit at EBAY. link text

Terry

Like this post
Devil Fish

Likes # 0

What is your upgrade for as a gamer i would say thats retired kit but as a webb surfer and number cruncher i would say its fine

some idea's of your requirements would be good

Like this post
EARLR

Likes # 0

Try Crucial.com for memory. Run their scanner it will tell you what you need. You can order it from them at the same time. I have found them very relilable.

Good Luck

Like this post
monkeymandg

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I took my video card to local PC World. They sold me a PNY GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 but when i went to install the card I realised they had put a different card in the dispay box. Written on the card is Geforce 210. Is the card they've given me better or worse as im not sure whether to take it back?

Terry - I am running 32 bit windows 7.

Devil Fish - Im a PS3 gamer, my desktop is just purely used for spreadsheets, emails, internet browsing etc. but since upgrading to windows 7 my RAM is nearly constantly maxed out.

Earlr - I tried the scanner but it couldn't recognise my computer details. But it came up with several options for DDR400 PC3200 memory. Bufferred, Registered, EEC, non-ECC. Do you know what any of this means? If so which should I get?

Thank you

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Concerning the RAM (can't answer other Q's):

Try SIW to see what RAM you have.

I have a Compaq Desktop (SR1619) about same age as your PC. It's an AMD 64 3200+. I upgraded it from 512MB by adding an extra 2x1GB (Crucial scanner told me what and then I bought from amazon)

It is also now running W7 64 and it's not too bad for general use. Depends on your 'impatience threshold'. I am not sure that buying an extra 4GB for yours would be much benefit compared to an extra 2GB. Unless you keep loads of apps and tabs and stuff open at same time.

Mainly I use it now for printing and recording TV because I have a 18 month old laptop which I prefer for main use.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The motherboard should have a AGP slot for the Graphics card as you say its about 6 years old you need to post motherboard model

If you do not have a Motherboard Manual, it should be on the motherboard in White Test and Numbers

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

The motherboard should have a AGP slot for the Graphics card as you say its about 6 years old you need to post motherboard model sorry see its a 28MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600 - PCI Express so its a late motherboard

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/components/atiradeongraphicscards/

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Here is a comparison of the two cards, the 210 is newer and consumes less power. But the 8400 has slightly better performance.

Like this post
monkeymandg

Likes # 0

Hi All

Robinofloxley - I dont use lots of apps at the same time so im sure 2x1GB should be sufficient. Do you know whether I need Registered ECC, Unbuffered ECC, Unbuffered NON-ECC, Unbuffered Non-parity as Crucial gives all those options?

Woodchip - Sorry im not sure if you understood my post. My original video card was 128MB nVIDIA GeForce 6600. This recently broke and I bought a PNY GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 however in the box the actual video card was a GeForce G210. So basically im asking if i have been given a better card then I will keep it, but if its worse then what I paid for then I will take it back.

Chub_tor - Thanks for the comparison, thats just what i was looking for but the card ive got is a G210 not a GT 210.

Thanks

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Don't know sorry. Whatever SIW identified, then Google the part no. of the RAM for fuller spec. Unless anyone knows off the top of their head.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK