We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

corrupt file

runnerpete

Likes # 0

When I switch the computer on I get the message: windows cannot start because the following file is corrupt. \Windows\System32\configure\system you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows set up by using the the original set up cd rom.

select r at the first screen to start repair. Q.what does one do if you no longer have that ?? The machine is a packard bell using windows XP

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

You will need an XP disc so that the corrupted file can be copied from it. A borrowed one will do the trick.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The problem with borrowing a CD is it must be the same version as the one you are using now. If you are using XP, it will proberly be SP3 .

I have an old Dell XP pro CD (copy not original), I do not know what version it is, or even if still works (made 2007), I no longer have the machine and it will only work on a Dell computer.

If you would to send me an A5 SAE, I will post it to you. You will need the number from your machine to run it.

I offer no guarrantees that it will work, but if you want to try it, you're welcome.

Send me an email to [email protected] and I will email you my address. Terry

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

or you can boot with a linux live CD

And go into C:\windows\system32\config rename system to system.old rename system.alt to systemalt.old copy the file system from c:\windows\repair\ to C:\windows\system 32\config

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...