We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC would not boot - computer shop installed new operating system - have i lost everything ?

jon_hoggy

Likes # 0

Hi all. My pc would not boot up. I used my XP install disc and tried all the repair options. As I was worried I might lose everything I took the pc to a computer shop and he said he would have a look but that I might have to do a full re-install. I came back and he had wiped the drive and installed Windows 7 32 bit (I had previously been running XP). I was gutted but he said that was my only option. I've since seen tools advertised for repairing such issues, i wish i had been able to try these. I have since tried a couple of free recovery tools to try and rescue some valuable documents, but they don’t find anything. A) have I been badly advised ? B) is there any way I can recover some of my old documents ? I am very sad :(

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

lotvic sorry but your statement about there "won't be Windows Old folder. More info on microsoft.com" is not correct. In fact if you look at the Microsoft link that you posted on Section 5 it talks about removing Windows.old when you know longer need it. The key is that you have to select Custom Installation to do the change from XP to Win 7, if you format then of course you lose data but if you stick to the procedure of doing a Custom Installation then Windows creates the Windows.old folder. I can assure that having changed several machines from XP to Win 7 they have all had the data saved in Windows.old.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

chub_tor, I stand (sit) corrected :) thanks for making me pay more attention.

Fingers crossed for OP jon_hoggy that it is there. But he does say that the drive had been wiped so it is a very slim chance that he will be lucky.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

lotvic yes let's hope that wiped just means installed over rather than formatted. Either way jon_hoggy should do a search for Windows.old to see if he has it.

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

Most computer shop "wiped" the HDD by formatting the HDD and performed a clean install of the OS.

in this case, even the backup software like easy data recorvery pro or any other app may not get those recovered files to open correctly.

We have clients asked for support in the similiar situation. The data backup with all the file names shown ok, but when double clicking to open the file, just show the scremble characters.

Data recovery is very costly, unless the files are very important to you.

hope this helps! Bill Tech Manager

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"and he had wiped the drive and installed Windows 7 32 bit (I had previously been running XP)"

Jon, even after a drive has been formatted it's still possible to recover files.

I suggest you download and try ZAR v9. I've tested it myself with a formatted drive and the majority of files were recoverable. You can get step-by-step instructions relevant to your situation from here. Note though that the demo version will only let you restore four folders worth of files for free. However, you should be able to tell whether it's located your precious missing files, whether they're intact, and that they can be recovered successfully prior to paying for the full version.

During the recovery process it's important to save the files to a different drive - perhaps an external one or memory stick.

If your missing files were originally in XP's My Documents or My Pictures folders etc, then in ZAR's folder tree, you'll need to go into the "Documents & Settings" folder -> Your username -> My Documents.

Because Windows 7 was installed after the format, it's likely that a lot of your files have been overwritten and are gone forever - it's still worth you trying ZAR though.

Let us know how you get on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......