We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PC would not boot - computer shop installed new operating system - have i lost everything ?

jon_hoggy

Likes # 0

Hi all. My pc would not boot up. I used my XP install disc and tried all the repair options. As I was worried I might lose everything I took the pc to a computer shop and he said he would have a look but that I might have to do a full re-install. I came back and he had wiped the drive and installed Windows 7 32 bit (I had previously been running XP). I was gutted but he said that was my only option. I've since seen tools advertised for repairing such issues, i wish i had been able to try these. I have since tried a couple of free recovery tools to try and rescue some valuable documents, but they don’t find anything. A) have I been badly advised ? B) is there any way I can recover some of my old documents ? I am very sad :(

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

What free tools have you so far tried? Someone here 'might' be able to offer further advice.

Though I fear you have probably lost most, if not all, of your stuff. I guess a costly lesson re: Backups, has be learned!

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

You have been very badly advised. By clean installing Windows 7, it's almost certain that all of your existing files will have been lost.

There are other options that could have been explored - (1) as you had an XP disk, it might have been possible to do a repair install without the loss of existing files, (2) the shop could have installed Windows 7 on a new hard drive and retained the old drive, so that your files could have been recovered from it later.

Try running "Recuva" if you haven't already done so to see if it finds any of your old files, but I'm not optimistic.

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Once you are up and running again, I would urge you to use imaging software, such as "Acronis True Image" or the free "Macrium Reflect" to create regular backups of your complete hard drive in separate media such as a USB External drive. This image can then be restored in the event of any problems with your Windows installation or restored to a new hard drive in case of drive failure.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Try http://www.pcinspector.de/FileRecovery/aboutus.htm?po=4&language=1

You need somewnere to recover the files to, assuming you only have one hard drive an external drive would best.

Like this post
jon_hoggy

Likes # 0

Thanks for the responses.

Fortunately i had moved my photographs on to a portable HDD, but i have lost documents that are valuable to me, i am so disappointed that i took it to the shop and should have come here for advice or done more research.

I guess i have to accept it is irreversible :(

I have tried a couple of recovery free stuff - Pandora and one other. They found a couple of pdfs and jpegs - nothing else.

Not only am i gutted i feel like im back to square one - it took me ages to tweak my pc and everything worked like clockwork. Now my internet has gone back to sluggish and i have to start over.

boo hoo :(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Even if it wouldn't boot it should have been possible to recover most of the data from the hard drive before formatting and installing a new operating system on the same drive.

Now it will be difficult if not impossible to recover anything.

Recuva

Disk Investigator http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html

PCInspector http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pcinspector.html

Anything recovered should be put onto a mem stick the more you write to the drive more that is lost on it as it becomes overwritten.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"I came back and he had wiped the drive and installed Windows 7 32 bit (I had previously been running XP)"

What make and model is your pc?

Is the W7 an OEM, or a Retail version? Proper shops do not just install W7 to replace XP.

Have you purchased the W7? and got the DVD and product key? If not then I would be a bit wary that it is a genuine W7. It may be that in a few months you will start getting the 'Not genuine' message when you do Microsoft updates.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

Nontek's advice re Backups is very valid. I learnt to my cost some 20 years ago. I recommend to everyone I meet when talking about PCs etc to make backups of system programs and data at regular intervals to if possible an external HD or alternatively a separate partition on the main HD.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Back ups should be done to a separate drive, external is better as a blown PSU can take an internal drives with it.

Like this post
sharpamat

Likes # 0

It may well be depending on what the shop did,and how they installed the new operating system.

Lociv has raised a very revelant quastion. You should have both the DVD and the licence number.

If the shop just upgraded your computer your original information may still be there.

Look in the main partion ( Normally C )for a Folder named Windows Old. If that is there a lot of your information may be recovable.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sorry, but you can't do an ordinary upgrade from XP to W7. It has to be a clean install so there won't be Windows Old folder. More info on microsoft.com

"To upgrade your PC from Windows XP to Windows 7, you'll need to select the Custom option during Windows 7 installation. A custom installation doesn't preserve your programs, files, or settings. It's sometimes called a "clean" installation for that reason."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'