We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Over security concerns

vassos

Likes # 0

I have had several security brands installed over the years. More recently I have been using Kaspersky. I was finding it a little invasive.Now I have only Max Secure Spyware Detector running which was installed by an IT college lecturer. It appears to operate efficiently. Do those that know more than I do, think that this is sufficient security cover or should I have something else.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

What you need are:

1) A Firewall

2) An AntiVirus program

3) Spyware scanning software. Additionally, "Spyware Blaster" helps to keep much of the spyware out in the first place. http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system?

What have you tried already?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Do those that know more than I do, think that this is sufficient security cover or should I have something else."

I've never heard of that so-called "Spyware Detector" program so I Googled for reviews - most are truly dreadful so you mustn't rely on it as your sole anti-malware solution.

If you're not willing to go back to Kaspersky then here are a couple of free, reputable, and effective alternatives:

1) AVG Free 2011

2) Microsoft Security Essentials

Both products employ real-time protection which will help keep pests out although the Microsoft one is quite basic when compared to AVG as it doesn't have any features to protect you from infected websites or dangerous search results.

A lot of security conscious users also use the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It doesn't have any real-time protection so it needs to be run manually once a week or so, or immediately when you suspect your regular anti-malware product has let something slip through.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

(IT college lecturer.)

I don't think his taste in security programs is up to scratch.

Maybe remove it and get something that will work better.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Avast Antivirus

Malwarebytes or SuperAntispyware as Antispy / malware detectors

and SpywareBlaster as a blocker

and your well covered for any op system

if using XP then you need a better firewall than XP's own

Like this post
vassos

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all that.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Click on Emisoft Anti-Malware on this and you also get AVG for the total price of £21.00.

That's about all you need.

http://store.v3.co.uk/?act=search&brand=289

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses