We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot to welcome screen

Scubaman

Likes # 0

Hi guys, I posted a problem regarding slow start-up recently and did as suggested and ran cc cleaner and reduced the start-up programs to McAfee. I tried starting on three occasions with no problems. Well.... I rebooted after a shut down period of 3 hours and the log-on password screen appeared and when I entered the password and pressed return the welcome screen came on and stayed there with the little circle rotating... for 2.5 hours... I then pressed ctrl+alt+del and then clicked on cancel and it immediately boots. I have tried this three times with the same results. The laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6400, is running Vista home premium. Any ideas?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Download and Run Ultra Defragmenter from here link text It's FREE.

Like this post
Scubaman

Likes # 0

I ran the Ultra Defrag and also the Uniblue registry booster, which fixed 259 faults!! First try booted in just over a minute, second try booted in under a minute, went straight to desktop, no password, and third time I had to Ctrl Alt Del after 20 minutes. Is this a Vista thing, never had probs like this with any other windows OS.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

A lot of registry boosters / cleaners can cause more trouble that they cure.

Try a repair of VISTA:

In the Search box type

sfc /scannow

Vista will scan for and replace missing corrupt windows files, can take sometime to complete.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I agree with Fruit Bat on Registry boosters/cleaners - that's why I didn't recommend one and especially Uniblue as it has had a lot of negative reviews on here.

I suggested the defrag as this is something a lot of people forget to do unless you have a program specially designed for this purpose ie: Diskeeper or O & O Defrag which run automatically in the"background"

It appears that although you initially saw some improvement there may be other problems and I am hoping that a "repair of Vista" as suggested by Fruit Bat solves things for you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...