We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Too Much Security?

Nick.A
Resolved

Likes # 0

This is an identical question to one I asked a few days ago. I have running on my PC BT NetProtect Plus and McAfee Security Scan Plus, but also Microsoft Windows Security Centre, that has a firewall too. My question is, should I uninstall Microsoft Security Centre in case it conflicts with BT NetProtec and McAfee?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 1

Nick.A

Thanks for the clarification.

To quote MS

"Security Center...checking the status of several security essentials on your computer, including firewall settings, Windows automatic updating, anti-malware software settings, Internet security settings, and User Account Control settings."

i.e. It is not in itself a Malware/Antivius program or Firewall.

To quote BT

"BT NetProtect Plus, our advanced security software in association with McAfee, helps protect against online viruses, hackers, spyware and identity theft"

It therefore seems to be the case that you only have one set of protection tools as the BT Netprotect and McAfee are one and the same.

I would therefore retract my earlier suggestion and say you do not have too much security, in fact as has been suggested I would add one additional malware application be it Malwarebytes or Superantispyware.

My final comment is that looking at BT.com it seems they charge £3.49 per month subscription to have Netprotect Plus ie an annual cost of about £42.

You can have equally as good cover using totally free products.

Like this post  
Snrub

Likes # 1

I downloaded Superantispyware as a freebie on this computer about 12 months ago. There is a tick box to disable tracking cookies search which can be reached by right click on the icon/View Control Center/Scanning Control. I have noticed when Adaware tracking cookies are thrown up after a scan they can be quarantined and deleted but they always reappear after further sessions of browsing so it seems a bit of a pointless exercise to check for tracking cookies and may as well be disabled? Any views please?

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 1

Quote Bremner 'My final comment is that looking at BT.com it seems they charge £3.49 per month subscription to have Netprotect Plus ie an annual cost of about £42' I think its just part of the BT Option2 package and is not cost itemised as such?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Snrub

You are correct if the OP has Option 1 then the BT NetProtect Plus is extra at £3.49pm, otherwise it is part of the package. Sorry for any confusion.

Like this post
Nick.A

Likes # 0

@ Snrub, - to solve the problem of SuperAntispyware from running heavily on start up, I went into SuperAntiSpyware / Preferences / General and Start-up tab, and unchecked the first three tick boxes:

1) Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts.

2) Show SUPERAntiSpyware icon in systems tray.

3) Show splash screen on start up.

Un-checking these boxes have helped a little bit.

Like this post
Nick.A

Likes # 0

Thanks Bremner for your replies, they have been helpful. I shall reconsider my options with BT.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'