We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Internet connection problem

redsusan

Likes # 0

Hi, I need some help please, every now and then my Internet stops working, i go to troubleshoot problems, and it says reset network wireless connection-doesn't have a valid IP configuration-fixed, Then it,s on again. I haven't got a clue what to do so have posted this in the beginners forum, If i have to reset something can you explain how to do it. Virgin wireless broadband windows 7 Toshiba satellite c660 laptop

Thanks Susan

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

hi redsusan, first of all have you tried in safe mode, does it still happen. Also have you tried connecting to the net via ethernet? Does that work ok. If so, how close to the router are you when trying to connect wirelessly. If not close, can you move the pc near the router just to see if things are any better via wireless. If not consider updating the driver on the wireless card.

Like this post
redsusan

Likes # 0

I havent tried using my laptop with an ethernet as it,s not been doing this for long only about 2 weeks . I am 5 ft away from the router, Dont know how to update the driver for the wireless card, have done all the windows updates though. I think the problem started around the same time as i did the Toshiba update but cant be sure and dont know how to undo that, also i way going to try a system restore but that will only take me back to the lastest windows update which was yesterday.

Like this post
kidsis

Likes # 0

hi, in order to update the driver for the wireless card, go to device manager and click on network adapters. Click on the wireless adapter to open up the details, and click on the driver tab. You can either update from there or note down the details and go to the toshiba's web site and look for the driver there. tbh though you should check that all is well with the ethernet cable plugged in - you need to know that the issue only occurs on wireless.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...