We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone tried Firefox6? any good differences?

Muergo

Likes # 0

There's a hush on this forum about Firefox 6Beta, I suppose everyone is still assimilating FF5 to worry about looking for six.

I'm still trying to resolve my missing graphics pictures problem, the PCAdvisor site looks bare on Firefox5 but switch engine to IE9 an presto all the pictures come in.

I think I shall have to do a complete uninstall to resolve it, all the previous suggestions haven't worked.

I had hoped by moving from 4 to 5 would fix it, but that move HAS fixed the constant crashing that afflicted FF4, no problems with FF5.

Looking at the FF6 comments section, It's all full of geeks slating one another off using foul language, no help at all.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

I'm using it but can't say that I have noticed any difference other than that Colourful Tabs Add On is no longer supported.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

On my test rig I am using Firefox 5 /Firefox 6 beta 1/ and Firefox Aurora (the pre-beta release of Firefox 7) and outwardly they all look and feel just the same. Apart from compatibility with,as yet to be updated,add-ons I have found no problems with either of the two later versions.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

What's the point of starting up "Aurora" when FF6 isn't launched yet, why not just tweak that instead of starting another, or is it a totally different angle but not so from what you say.

"Get the Kia-Ora Aurora" that takes us back a few years!!

I suppose all the plugin guys are racing to keep up with each issue, FF has now more revisions than Adobe and that takes some beating.

Next, Apple will buy them up, a big Job?

So, shall I chance Firefox6 in case it mihght solve my graphics difficulties, after which, as I said, I must reInstall it.

I'm forced to use IE9 because of these missing images although I prefer Firefox and it's unique addons.

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

"So, shall I chance Firefox6 " .... no need to take any chances. Just install FF6 into its own dedicated folder,alongside FF5,rather than letting it overwrite the existing installation. If you do not like it just uninstall again but be careful not to uninstall your profile with the program.

At least we are getting a sniff of FF6 on the way to FF7. Thunderbird has gone straight from version 3 to 5 ,missing 4 altogether.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Solved my graphics problem with a total reinstallation but now putting back my addons one by one just in case one of them was the cause so far unidentified, but now I have all fully illustrated FF5 I feel a lot happier, it's strange why so many good additions to Firefox are not offered to IE users, there must be just as big a demand, is it more complicated to devise extras for IE?

I run Thunderbird as a backup for Windows live mail as that program has a habit of losing the odd message, but I prefer the look of it, it seems more spacious than TBird. but I didn't notice the TBird jump from 3 to 5, doesn't seem to have made much difference.

What are the salient improvements from 3 to 5?

Like this post
cocteau48

Likes # 0

Changelog for T'Bird 5 :

• More responsive and faster to start up and use
  • Thunderbird is based on the new Mozilla Gecko 5 engine
  • New Add-ons Manager
  • Revised account creation wizard to improve email setup
  • New Troubleshooting Information page
  • Tabs can now be reordered and dragged to different windows
  • Attachment sizes now displayed along with attachments
  • Plugins can now be loaded in RSS feeds by default
  • There are several theme fixes for Windows Vista and Windows 7
  • Support for Mac 32/64 bit Universal builds (Thunderbird will no longer support PowerPC on Mac)
  • Over 390 platform fixes that improve speed, performance, stability and security
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide