We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need a valuation on my Dell XPS laptop please...

Tech-help-please

Likes # 0

Hi, I would be very grateful if anyone could help me out... I need to know how much my laptop is worth. I'm not selling it. I brought it to someone to fix a small problem with it and they've broke the thing entirely! So basically I need to know what compensation I should be looking for - so I need to know what it was worth before he broke it. Here's the spec: Dell XPS M1330 Core Duo T5250 1.50GHz, 667, 2M 13.3" WXGA (1280x800) Display with True Life Memory Dual-Channel 1024MB (2x512) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM Hard Drive 120GB Serial ATA (5400 RPM) 8xDVD +/-RW Slim-load drive, including SW 9-cell 85WHr Li-Ion Battery Intel Integrated GMA X3100 Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-PCI Card It was bought in October 2007. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I would say if "they've broke the thing entirely"

It does not matter quite so much what that particular model was worth just before it got broke. What you need to know is how much it will cost to replace it with another of similar specification. Shop around on the internet to get some idea of prices and stick to reputable websites (beware of cons).

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I agree with Lotvic. But if it was in immaculate condition, a 4 year old laptop with that sort of specification could be bought second hand for about £160 - £200 and I have to say could fail the day after you bought it. It is possible that the person you took it to wasn`t responsible for the fact that it failed whilst in his possession unless you know different of course!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

To replace would cost you around £200 looking at prices on google

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

And the acid test is to see what they are selling on ebay - about £100.

Like this post
Tech-help-please

Likes # 0

Thanks for your input lotvic, Taff and Fruit Bat!
I don't think I'd buy a second hand one to replace it, as mentioned it could just fail the day after buying it.
I find it very difficult to compare laptops like for like... as they are all so different - it's mainly the processors that confuse me the most... is i5 better than i3, and comparing one type of dual core to another etc etc. I want a laptop which runs quickly (thou not for gaming or anything) and has substantial storage. Preferably something with a smallish screen, therefore a light laptop that could be carried around easily. Netbook size I guess but with more speed & memory than a netbook. Any ideas?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

We've moved away from the original posting but if we assume you`ve "written off" the original laptop (Anything that you get from the compensation is a plus!) the first priority is to get another laptop.

The i5 is better than the i3 processors and forget about dual core processors because I believe they will be gone by the end of the year. You are now talking about something small, light, portable and possibly "netbook size" which covers anything from screen sizes 10.1 - 14".

An i3 laptop 15.6" screen at 2.75 Kg at the moment can be bought for less than £400. I've not seen a netbook of the same technology anywhere near this price. It's early days as far as I am concerned. Theres nothing in your wish list that cant be satisfied with a netbook at about £350 apart from size and mobility. Evaluate how mobile you want to be with the device - desirable or essential?

Let's see what others think.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...