We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Software for New Computer - Advice please

Border View

Likes # 0

Just got a new computer. Runs Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Has 8Gb RAM and a 1Gb graffics card.

Computers bought in the past have always come with software pre-loaded and I have gone along with what was there. This didn't.

Need advice please on which Photo Elements to buy and what software for burning DVDs and Cds.

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Cant say much about the Photosoftware as i havent used any as such,but i do use this on My win7 64 bit system and it had never let me down yet. link text

Like this post
ACOLYTE

Likes # 0

Opps srry about that link text

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

And more importantly what are you going to use for protection?

Windows & free protection use Microsoft Security essentials http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/ back that up with Malwarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat - I downloaded Avast as first priority.

What do you think about Super Antispyware instead of malwarebytes? I had problems on XP with malwarebytes - might be different with Windows 7.

Have not got my head around Windows security yet. I use Sunbelt firewall on my XP machine but understand that this firewall will not be available as a stand alone after December.

Thanks for your heads up.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Windows 7 own firewall is good enough

Avast is a good choice, use it myself.

Agree SA is good. Also use SAS as well as Malwarebytes (no problems with Malwarbytes on my XP system)

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Will give Malwarebytes a go on this system. My only problem was updates. Had to disengage firewall to download updates.

Kind regards.

PS you Will probably see other queries as I come across them.

Thanks again

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Still need advice re DVD/CD burning software and Photoshop.

Looking forward to your response.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Imgburn for burning, or Ashampoo.

And for all you Freeware needs Gizmo's Reviews and Downloads. Click Categories on the Home Page.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/

-x-x-

(btw New Computer? Make your Recovery DVDs, setup and install a few basic progs. AV, Browser, Screensaver etc. Then Make a System Image. Better than Factory Install some months later.)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...