We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba laptop rebooting problem

nilefish

Likes # 0

Hi there I managed to reset my Toshiba Harman/Kardon to the factory reseting using F8 , I intsalled SP1 manually to the laptop but it's not rebooting , I can only access F2 and F12 and that did not help. I have no recovery CD what can I do? Please help

Like this post
nilefish

Likes # 0

I can enter the setup pressing F2 without problem, but as I said before I tried bootning from the hard dic and from CD but no luck I don't know what else I can do

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Let's just have a review here.... 1. You had Vista working OK when you did a Factory reset by using F8 (July 11 post) 2. You installed Vista SP1 and the system would not boot 3. July 15 you changed boot up to CD and bought a Recovery CD, it still wouldn't boot from the CD or the hard drive. You get a grey screen with no writing on it. 4. You then tried to install Windows 7 Ultimate but couldn't boot from that either. 5. You went into the BIOS and reset it to default settings, but the time is wrong.

The key here seems to be that you cannot boot from the CD drive either from a Recovery Disk or from Windows Ultimate and that the screen shows no display at all.

If you can't boot from a CD then either the disks you are using are not bootable - which seems unlikely or that your CD drive is not working. Does the CD drive show up in the BIOS?

Like this post
nilefish

Likes # 0

I done that but still no joy ..do u think it might be a hardware problem? and installing another Visa OS will that slove the problem?

Like this post
nilefish

Likes # 0

Yes it shows up in the BOIS , all the cd work fine in my desktop pc

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

If the discs are bootable in your other PC but not in your desktop then yes I am thinking that the CD drive in your laptop may not be working. Does anything happen when you insert the recovery CD in the CD player? Does the light flash as it reads the disc?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

There is one more thing that you might be able to try. Using your desktop can you copy the entire Recovery CD to a USB flash drive then on the laptop enter the BIOS and change the boot order to boot from the flash drive. This might get you going if the CD drive is duff.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

After you change settings in BIOS to boot from CD, are you saving changes before you exit BIOS?

Like this post
nilefish

Likes # 0

Yes of course I'm saving the change ,I will try to boot from a flash drive and I will let u know

Like this post
nilefish

Likes # 0

Hi guys

thanks for the advice , a friend of mine sorted out ..the hard drive was faulty , we replaced it and it's working

Thanks again

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Glad you got it resolved, can you now click on one of the ticks by the side of your post to show that it is resolved. Thank you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote