We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows Easy File Transfer - How Long?

Border View
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a new computer running W7 Home Premium. Old computer XP Home SP3. Set up to use Easy file transfer via net work. 12GB to transfer. Last time estimate 16 hours. Told not to use either computer until transfer complete.

How long should this take. If necessary how do I abort?

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Something wrong. I get 1GB/min to USB on average, making System Images.

Network is slower. 100Mbits/s. I don't backup over the network usually, but I am gonna do it later, just made a fresh image on PC upstairs to its own partition. Need to get it downstairs onto my ext HDD. (Ethernet cable). Doesn't take 16 hrs though.

Worst case for you, burn 3 x DVDs for 12GB?

Try Easeus Todo Backup

It does files and folders as well as Images now. Note: You cannot restore an old machine Image to a new one. But you can 'Mount' the image and browse it.

Handy when you forget about hidden files somewhere on the old system.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Hi, thanks for responding. After 4 hours the Windows 7 Firewall blocked the transfer and gave me the opportunity to cancel - which I did. The only files to have come over are my music files. Not a lot else that I can find.

I have all my documents, music and photos backed up externally so will transfer them from CDs.

Don't think it was a good idea trying to transfer wirelessly. Plus XP home SP3 working on Fat32 might not be all that compatible with W7 Home Premium.

Off to enjoy finding out about my new computer.

Thanks again for responding.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback