We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Hours and minutes in Excel

Craig.m

Likes # 0

I am using Excel to total hours and minutes on a piece or equipment, a record so we can see which ones are due service when. Easy enough to put in running time but if it is more than 24 hours or the total is greater than this it starts at zero again as it classes it as one day, I want to retain the value in hours which could run intot he hundreds but can't find a way of losing the 24 hour roll over element.

AWould anybody know how to format excel to count in hours and minutes but remove the day element?

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Format cells as below and it should do what you want:

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Don't know why but format formula did not get posted, here goes again:

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

Like this post
Zak

Likes # 0

I give up!! put square brackets either side of the 'h' in the format h:mm

You will see one in Excel custom format which includes seconds.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Write your Start and Finish Times over midnight, thus 16:00:00 and 03:15:00 and the Formula to calculate the hours between =MOD(B10-A10,1)

Many thanks to Vog on that one

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I assume that, were the machine to work solidly for a week, or so, one would enter the Start and Finish times, as before, but replace the '1' with a '7' or however many days there were in between.

Never tried that one, as I'm calculating shifts that run past midnight.

Like this post
Craig.m

Likes # 0

Thanks Zak, once you got the message over I tried it and it does just what I was after.

Wee eddie, that would work to get the hours difference but it is a case of the register having hours and minutes put in but with no record of times. I am creating a sheet that is retrospective and so the times would not be available.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G2 release date, price and specs: Best budget smartphone gets upgrades

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer