We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop PC says 'WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM' etc

bob dob

Likes # 0

Hello, Please may i ask for some help? My friend's dad has given me his xp desktop computer to try and fix/get going, when turned on this message appears: 'WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM' It then asks for the original set up cd rom and to press 'r'....

I have an XP OEM CD, is this reasonably straightforward please?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

System File

Missing Or Corrupt Windows\System32\Conf\System File

see" target="_blank">http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_repair_a_missing_or_cor1.htm">see here

To fix the "windows\system32\config\system file is mising or corrupt" where Xp wont boot:

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config ren system system.old ren system.alt systemalt.old copy c:\windows\repair\system copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system exit

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Thank you, as ever, fb. Please may i irritate you by asking how to go to recovery console?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3 Press R to go to recovery Console

4 If windows prompts for admin password just press enter

5 You should end up with a flashing cursor at C:\Windows _

Type

cd system32\config

ren system system.old

ren system.alt systemalt.old copy

c:\windows\repair\system copy

c:\windows\repair\regback\system exit

press enter at the end of each line

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

As an aside, what am I doing wrong - I click on FB's link, and it takes me to PCA Home Page?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Oh dear....it asked me for the admin password...which my friend's dad doesn't have, i also inputted my guess incorrectly 3 times.....what on earth can i do please?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

STOP PRESS!! When it asked to be re-booted after my incorrect password (3 times), it restarted and now, weirdly, it has taken me to the system restore options??

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Also, when i go to Revo uninstaller, there is an incredible 106 programs there, surely this wont benefit the PC? Such ones as Drive manager, First step guide and Download manager etc etc

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

So can anyone explain why this has suddenly 'righted' itself please? And can i do anything to stop it happening again?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

I have a lot more than 106 programs on my XP machine but of course they all not all running at the same time.

Do a restore to before the problem started.

To stop recovery console from asking for password

Go into the control panels and open up the following:

Control Panels

Switch to Classic View (upper left hand corner)

Administrative Tools

Local Security Policy

Under Security Settings, click on:

Local Policies

User Rights Assignments

Security Options

Scroll down to "Recovery Console: Allow automatic administrator logon"

Change this to "enable"

Back out and restart and you should be able to boot up the recovery console without having to enter any passwords.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat, you are quite simply brilliant!!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...