We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem rebuilding Intel Raid 1 array on Gigabyte motherboard

Tim

Likes # 0

I have a Windows 7 64bit computer which uses a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD motherboard.

I have a raid 1 array for my system volume which uses the built-in Intel Raid chip on the motherboard.

I have recently had one of the hard disks of the array fail and I have replaced it with a new disk. The problem is that when I go into the Raid Bios (using Ctr I) I get no option to rebuild the array using the new disk. According to the motherboard manual I should get an option for it. How do I get the array rebuilt without losing all the data?

The Raid Bios screen gives the following information Raid volume 0 - Status failed. The disk which I have replaced has status - Non Raid Disk The good disk in the array has status - Member Disk (0)

Because the system volume has status failed - I cannot boot into Windows

Any help which allows me to rebuild the Raid 1 array would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Timothy Edwards

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

If the good disk is still working within the functional Raid array then you can boot into Windows and rebuild Raid 1 using the Raid controller panel.

If you can't boot into Windows,you have a big problem here,the Raid 1 array might be corrupted because Raid 1 is designed to make sure at least one disk is still functioning and if you break & recreate a new Raid 1 array, you might be asked to format your disks & lose all datas. Hope you've backed up all datas & best of all a restorable system image.

You can try getting another identical disk to your replaced disk,take the good Member 0 disk out ,put those 2 new disks in and either delete & create a new array or just create a new array and afterwards put back the Member 0 disk in & see if the new array sees this old disk and boots up then you can rebuild Raid 1 with one of the disks.

If all fails then you might try this data recovery tool http://www.diydatarecovery.nl/

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Make sure that you have taken out the correct hard drive, I am not being funny about this but I had the same problem with this same Mobo and the soft ware used told me the wrong hard drive had failed.

I spent over 2 hours trying to boot from a failed hard drive.

It may not be your problem but it's worth checking.

Like this post
Tim

Likes # 0

I am pretty sure that I took out the correct disk as before I did in the RAID BIOS one of the disks was marked faulty anf the other was OK. After the disk was replaced. I still had a disk marked at healthy and also a non-raid disk in place of the faulty one.

Thanks, Tim

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote