We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Avast asking me to register- is this necessary?

bob dob

Likes # 0

Hi, I am helping a friend with his laptop which seems to have been pre-installed with Avast. It is now asking to register, is this neccesary please? Ps- i use AVG and have to update and scan...am i correct in thinking that with Avast you dont have to manually do any of these?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

The free version of AVAST has to be re-registered every year.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

As above and it auto updates. I sometimes run a manual scan and a boot-time scan but not very often.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Registering means you are sent a passkey which allows auto updates after the 30 day trial.

It costs nothing and you do not get spammed.

Well worth it for one of the best antivirus progs around

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Thank you for that. So it scans automatically? Ps- i should start a new thread but i just thought id ask- how do i stop it asking for a password every 15 minutes when untouched?

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Also, i've registered my email address and Avast says it is now registered....dont i have to 'verify' this in some way?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, as FB said, you have to copy the passkey that's sent to you and paste it into the popup from Avast.

Like this post
bob dob

Likes # 0

Well that's the thing, no pass key has arrived and Avast says it is registered?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If there's a spinning globe in the toolbar, then click on that. It should bring Avast summary to view. Click on Maintenance, then Register, and that should state if the product is registered and when the registration is due to expire.

If it state 'unregistered. then register Avast.

If there is no spinning globe in the toolbar, the check to see if its showing as installed in the programmes.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

There are two different ways to register your details for Avast Free.

"no pass key has arrived and Avast says it is registered"

That would be correct if you have clicked on the 'Register' button in the program. Avast inserts a key for you and you never see it.

However if you clicked on the bottom option for Offline registration and went to the Registration Form on the website then you would be sent a license key via email, that you would have to copy and paste into the box that pops up when you click on 'Insert license key'. Screenshots and info on Avast support website http://tinyurl.com/6kqpglq

As regards the password pop up - are you able to get to this:

Click on globe to open Avast -> then click on 'SETTINGS' button at top right inbetween 'Help Center' and 'Upgrade'

Click on 'Password' in the left column

UNtick 'Protect avast! with a password'. You do not want to set a password as the only way to then get rid of it is to uninstall and then reinstall avast. http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=41205.0

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

MSE is far simpler!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings